Linked Events

• Murray Shapiro, 97, WWII, Simi Valley: October 11, 2020

Author Topic: Murray Shapiro, 97, USA, WWII, Simi Valley, CA - 11 OCT 2020  (Read 1868 times)

BethieWethie909

Murray Shapiro, 97, USA, WWII, Simi Valley, CA - 11 OCT 2020
« on: October 05, 2020, 08:41:39 PM »
The family of Murray Shapiro has invited the Patriot Guard Riders to participate in his final Military Honors. It will be our honor and privilege to do so.

Murray enlisted in the United States Army on August 31, 1942 and was honorably discharged on October 25, 1945 at the rank of Staff Sergeant. He landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day plus 3 and was part of 18 battles with the Nazi forces. They included the Battle of the Bulge in December, 1944 – January, 1945. At one point during the battle he was declared MIA for 8 days. Murray received the first of two Bronze Star Medals with an Oak Leaf Cluster for “heroic achievement” from actions on December 16, 1944. He also was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 3 battle stars, 3 French decorations while attached to the French First Army, and several other campaign medals. In 2012, Murray was awarded the French Legion of Honor Medal from the French government.

Following WWII, Murray taught school for 54 years, including time with LAUSD, Cal State LA, Mount Saint Mary’s and UCLA. Murray was awarded “Teacher of the Year” in 1984 from both the City and County of Los Angeles. He also taught for a time at a secondary school in Nigeria. He was also a religious school principal for 40 years at several Hebrew institutions in the Los Angeles Area.

“He was a loving man, a tough man,” his son said. “He’s been my hero and the hero for my family.” Always a very proud Veteran and Patriot, “I went with him every year to Veterans Day and Memorial Day ceremonies,” his son said, “even when he was in a wheelchair and weak from his surgeries, when they would raise the flag he would ask me to help him stand.”

Murray is survived by his wife of 70 years Shirley, 3 children, 6 grandchildren and 9 great grandchildren.

NOTE: This mission posting is to facilitate your voluntary participation in honoring this Military Veteran.

Time Table for Sunday, 11 OCT 20:

1215 – Stage in the Carl’s Jr. parking lot, 1208 Madera Road, Simi Valley, CA 93065 https://goo.gl/maps/cgiFrWfR8kaySRd78

1240 – Mission Briefing

1300 – KSU to family residence

1320 – Flag Line as Hero's urn is brought out of the home to the yard for his Honors.

1330 – Prepare Flag Salute and attend final Military Honors

R/C Mike Abraham
SoCalPGR Ride Captain

pgrcbmike@hotmail.com
818-645-9698

You do not have to be a Veteran or a motorcycle rider to attend this mission. Everyone is welcome. We encourage those who do not ride to attend in your car. If this will be your first mission go to the initial staging area and you will be briefed there by the R/C (Ride Captain). Dress for motorcycle riding or dress casually if you are driving a cage (car). Please feel free to attend any portion of this mission you can. Please ride/drive safely.