Linked Events

• UPDATE!!HOTH - Mike Van Houtte, Awards Ceremony, San Clemente: April 21, 2017

Author Topic: UPDATE!!HOTH- Mike Van Houtte, USMC, Bronze Star Award, San Clemente - 21 APR  (Read 645 times)

BethieWethie909

!!! TIME CHANGE, WE ARE MEETING 1/2 HOUR EARLIER/SEE UPDATED TIME TABLE BELOW !!!

The PGR has been invited to be part of a very important occasion, a Marine who was a Vietnam Veteran hero, is finally being recognized with the honor he has deserved all these years.

On April 21, 1967, Mike "Hooter" Van Houtte was serving in Vietnam with the 3/1 in the battle of Operation Union.  The US Marine Corps is awarding Mike the Bronze Star with "V" for valor for his actions that day which saved many lives.

Here is an excerpt from the email his daughter submitted: 

"My name is Tina Van Houtte Bailey, I am writing you on behalf of my Father Mike Van Houtte He is a Vietnam Veteran W.I.A Marine Grunt from Mike Co 3/1. My father has been approved and will receive the Bronze Star with Combat” V” for Valor for his heroism in Vietnam on April 21, 1967 in the battle of Operation Union.

He will be presented his medal on April 21, 2017 at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base.  This date is his 50th Anniversary of the battle he is being awarded his medal.  He doesn’t believe himself worthy of this medal but all his Marines and Corpsman will tell you otherwise.

The reason I believe our Father deserves to be Honored by the Patriot Guard is that he struggled for 47 years in silence unable to recall 20 hours of his life during that 22-hour battle. He has lived not knowing if he was a good Marine or if he was a Coward. This Award is more than just a Medal it is freedom from the bondage of silent self-doubt that My father lived with all these years. this medal is a sign of Peace for our Father. He will be able to live the rest of his days knowing he wasn't a coward but in fact he was what we all know him to be AN OUTSTANDING MARINE, MAN, FATHER, HUSBAND, SON, and GRANDFATHER.

This is not just a medal to us it is PEACE of mind for our Father. He can FINALLY rest his head on his pillow at night and know he did his job. He can finally look at HIS MARINE BROTHERS and know that he is worthy of their bond. That he deserves to be in their presence."

The PGR is honored to be there for this Marine who risked his life for his brothers that day and was wounded in doing so.  Gunny will be the Ride Captain for this mission, and on that day in Operation Union, Gunny was stationed in Da Nang offloading injured Marines, it is very likely he carried this Marine out of a C130 fifty years ago.

Mike will be joining us at the staging area, you will have an opportunity to thank him and shake his hand.

VERY IMPORTANT:  As security has tightened up on base, if you wish to attend this mission, it is very important you follow these instructions.  If you DO NOT have a valid Military ID or valid DoD card, or valid Volunteer Pass, you MUST SUBMIT the following information by email to Gunny at flbatfish1@sbcglobal.net NO LATER THAN WED/12APR/1800hrs:

LAST NAME/FIRST NAME/MIDDLE NAME/SUFFIX(if any i.e. Jr, Sr, etc)/STATE OF DRIVERS LICENSE/DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER/DATE OF BIRTH

NOTE: This mission posting is to facilitate your voluntary participation in honoring this Military Veteran. For those interested, and all are welcome, we will be accompanying the hero from the staging area to the ceremony. Please see the time table if you would like to participate.

Time table for Friday, 21 APR 17:

0745 - Stage at Carl's Jr., 3929 S. El Camino Real, San Clemente, CA 92672  https://goo.gl/maps/PYYnMQ4vRiy

0800 - Mission briefing

0815 - Est KSU to location of ceremony to be disclosed in briefing

R/C Craig (Gunny) Donor
GySgt USMC (ret)
Cell 909 208 7703
pgrgunny-001@yahoo.com
PGR SoCal State Captain

Dream like you will live forever.
Live like there is no tomorrow.
When the world calls 911
The American Military answers the phone.

Due to OPSEC (Operational Security) limitations which involve troop movements and on-base activities, exact details of this mission will be explained at the Mission Briefing only.

Each motorcycle rider should have registration, proof of insurance. You should also wear hard sole shoes, long pants, full-fingered gloves, a long sleeve outer garment, eye protection, and a DOT helmet. A brightly colored reflective vest is no longer needed but recommended.  Have your I.D. ready when you arrive at the gate.

You do not have to be a Veteran or a motorcycle rider to attend this mission. Everyone is welcome. We encourage those who do not ride to attend in your car. If this will be your first mission go to the initial staging area and you will be briefed there by the R/C (Ride Captain).  Dress for motorcycle riding or dress casually if you are driving a cage (car).  Please feel free to attend any portion of this mission you can.  Please ride/drive safely.