Linked Events

• UPDATE!!! Honor Flight, San Diego: May 05, 2019

Author Topic: UPDATE!!! Honor Flight, WWII/Korea Heroes, San Diego - 05 MAY 19  (Read 1137 times)

BethieWethie909

!!! UPDATE !!! TIME CHANGE - This flight is arriving 45 minutes later, SEE UPDATED TIME TABLE BELOW

PGR have been invited to the homecoming for our heroes.  It will be our honor to be there.

80+ WWII and Korean heroes are returning via Honor Flight San Diego after a weekend in Washington. DC.

Our heroes are arriving to be greeted by a tumultuous homecoming.  There’s gonna be cheers, tears, shouts, music, flags, children, adults, military personnel, youth groups, USO, Knights of Columbus, cheerleaders, school groups, VFW, American Legion, PGR, etc.  Some in-bound passengers on other flights usually tarry to attend the homecoming as well.  It will be “loud”

For this event, PGR have been asked to assist in the safe passage of the heroes through the huge throng of well-wishers as the heroes exit the terminal after their much-deserved weekend.  We are facing an additional challenge.  There is but one escalator and one elevator for the Heroes and travelers on other flights to employ as they descend from the Terminal Concourse to the Baggage Concourse.

Essentially, PGR need to be on site and in position about one-hour prior to the arrival of the flight at the gate.  We’re aware that this flight may arrive early or a bit late.

NOTE: This mission posting is to facilitate your voluntary participation in honoring these military veterans. For those interested, and all are welcome, please see the time table below.

UPDATED!!! Time Table for Sunday, May 5, 2019:

1345 – Enter San Diego International Airport parking via McCain Road access gate.   https://goo.gl/maps/i5HwPBP6Pk87SvzZ9   Parking is free.  Do take a parking ticket, and upon exit surrender the ticket at the exit gate, while announcing you were attending Honor Flight San Diego - Homecoming.

1400 – Assemble near Terminal 2 Baggage Concourse near the escalators and elevators for event briefing.  [Ted shall be there early.]

1500 – Est. time of arrival

1615 – Est. time for event to conclude following safe passage home for all

[Kindly note:  At last fall’s homecoming, some brought their large flags some did not.  It’s your choice.  Sometimes a large flag can prevent well-wishers from clearly seeing the heroes.  Yes, I brought my flag, but as I was at the bottom of the escalator, assisting the heroes as they literally leaped from the escalators, most often I asked a nearby person to hold my furled flag & pole.  But, do wear your PGR regalia.]

Ted Tomaszewicz
PGR Honor Flight Event Coordinator
San Diego

TedNavyPGR@gmail.com   
201-970-5546

NOTE: This mission involves an aircraft arrival. Arrival times can change at the last minute so please check this thread for any last minute changes before leaving

You do not have to be a Veteran or a motorcycle rider to attend this mission. Everyone is welcome. We encourage those who do not ride to attend in your car. If this will be your first mission go to the initial staging area and you will be briefed there by the R/C (Ride Captain).  Dress for motorcycle riding or dress casually if you are driving a cage (car).  Please feel free to attend any portion of this mission you can.  Please ride/drive safely.