Linked Events

• PFC Allan Altieri - KIA 6-24-66-Mission Hills: June 24, 2016

Author Topic: PFC Allan Altieri, USA - KIA 6-24-66, Vietnam, Mission Hills, CA, 24 JUN 2016  (Read 465 times)

David (Bam-Bam) DeLeon

• Administrator
The Patriot Guard has been invited to honor the life and sacrifice of PFC Allan Altieri who died on June 24th, 1966 in Pleiku Province, Vietnam while serving in the HHC Company, 1st Battalion, 35th Infantry Regiment.  The cause of PFC Altieri's death was listed as Small Arms/AW. At the time of his death Allan was 19 years of age. He was from Glendale, California.  When PFC Altieri was returned home, he was buried in the San Fernando Mission Cemetery without military honors or even a headstone.  His family devastated by their loss, moved from the area shortly thereafter and have not visited his grave in many years.  One of his classmates from Glendale High School recently provided a headstone to appropriately honor PFC Altieri's final resting place and now, on the 50th anniversary of his death, has organized a memorial service to finally render military honors for PFC Altieri.  Allan's family, school friends and members of the 35th infantry regiment will be in attendance for the memorial.  We are honored to be invited attend the memorial.  Please bring your flags and help provide the Welcome Home PFC Altieri rightly deserves and to rectify his not receiving the honors due to him 50 years ago.

PFC Allan J Altieri, was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Sully P Altieri, both who have passed away.  PFC Altieri are survived by his sister Barbara and brother Darren.

Award Of The Bronze Star For Heroism.  For heroism in connection with military operations against a hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. On 24 June 1966, Private First Class Altieri distinguished himself by heroic actions while serving as a machine gunner with the 1/35th Infantry Reconnaissance Platoon. While making a sweep of an open area in their patrolling sector, the platoon was suddenly subjected to devastating fire by a reinforced NVA company. Private First Class Altieri immediately returned accurate fire on the enemy allowing his comrades to seek cover and establish a hasty defense. In this initial exchange of fire Private First Class Altieri was wounded. Realizing that anyone who came to his aid would certainly be killed, Private First Class Altieri resolutely remained in position and did not call for assistance. As he continued his courageous fight, the enemy began to concentrate their fires on him in an attempt to silence the fire from his machine gun. Undaunted by the volume of fire directed at him, Private First Class Altieri held his ground, but was again struck by enemy fire and killed. His impelling valor, devotion to duty, and inspiring determination to resist to his utmost are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

The decorations earned by PFC Allan Joseph Altieri include: the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Bronze Star with V, the Purple Heart, the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Vietnam Campaign Medal and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Citation.

Note: This notice is to facilitate your voluntary participation in honoring this Military Veteran.  For those interested, and all are welcome.  Please see time table below if you would like to participate.

Time Table for Friday 24 JUN 16

0900 - Stage at the San Fernando Mission Cemetery, 11160 Stranwood Ave, Mission Hills, CA 91345 https://goo.gl/8w0i4J

0915 - Mission Briefing

0930 - Prepare the Flag Line to the graveside location

1000 - Presentation of Final Military Honors

Tags will be availible for this mission

Scotty "Tailgate" Wiles
SoCalPGR R/C
PGR #108920
scottwiles@yahoo.com

Lest I keep my complacent way I must  remember somewhere out there a person died for me today.  As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer was I worth dying for? - Eleanor Roosevelt

I ride in honor of HN Daniel "Doc" Noble and his three Marine brothers, KIA 24 July, 2007 Diyala Province, Iraq:

Corporal James H. McRae
Corporal Matthew R. Zindars
Lance Corporal Robert A Lynch

You do not have to be a Veteran or a motorcycle rider to attend this mission. Everyone is welcome. We encourage those who do not ride to attend in your car. If this will be your first mission go to the initial staging area and you will be briefed there by the R/C (Ride Captain). Dress for motorcycle riding or dress casually if you are driving a cage (car). Please feel free to attend any portion of this mission you can. Please ride/drive safely.
So Cal PGR Ride Captain
So Cal PGR Mission Ops
USAF 1982 - 1987
Riverside County Fire 1989 - 1996