Author Topic: Thank You from the family of Gunny Richard Akuna’s Family  (Read 13913 times)

John Gretzinger

• Administrator
    • Gretzinger Photography
Thank You from the family of Gunny Richard Akuna’s Family
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
David, John, and other Southern California Patriot Guard Riders,

I would like to pass along a huge “Thank You!” on behalf of myself and Richard Akuna’s family for  you participation at his funeral on Friday.  I have cc’d his three daughters, Mei-Ling (my wife), twin sister Melani, and Monika.  You brought tears of happiness to many friends and family members (me included!) when the long line of motorcycles approached the funeral home and later led the funeral procession to the cemetery.  The flag arch staffed with so many members of the Patriot Guard Riders proudly standing tall is something that we’ll never forget—what a humbling experience as we entered the chapel and later as we exited with the chapel speakers playing one of Gunny’s favorite Ray Charles songs, flanked by your awesome group!  I know that Gunny was smiling and clapping his hands in approval with the outstanding tribute he received from his fellow brothers in arms.  Patrons from the nearby shops emptied onto the sidewalk to witness the Patriot Guard Riders’ tribute to a war hero.  Family smiled as we exited the chapel, passed through the flag arch, crossed the street, and took in that special moment, one that would not have been possible without the Patriot Guard Riders!

I know that some of you attended the service at the Garcia Mortuary and were able to enjoy the sentiments from the guest speakers, see the 8-minute video, and witness the hula performed by two of his daughters.  Following the funeral, friends and family attended a luau that featured some great food, drink (my head is still hurting!), music performed by Gunny’s siblings and oldest son (ukuleles, guitars, spoons), singing, and a full evening filled with happiness and a spirit of celebration.  Much of the family had not seen each other in more than 35 years, and the next generation of Akuna grandchildren gained a healthy appreciation for the true warrior and hero that their grandfather and each of his brothers were while serving in the military.  You may have heard Gunny’s best friend, Qwan, make reference to the Congressional Medal of Honor…I didn’t include that in my eulogy since there was no official record that he was being considered for this prestigious award, but the rest of the story behind the USMC 2-star’s comments to Gunny in a San Antonio hospital in 1966 was that Gunny clearly advised the General to stick the medal where the sun doesn’t shine unless he intended to recognize Gunny’s 33 dead Marines.  Qwan also made reference to the guilt that Gunny lived with for the rest of his life regarding the loss of those Marines, something that occasionally came up during my conversations with Gunny.

John, like you, Gunny was missing most of his left ear and eye as a result of his last combat mission in Vietnam where he was hit with a phosphorus grenade, shot twice, and bayonetted over the course of a 3-day firefight with the Vietcong.  Later in life, he proudly wore his combat wounds, something that he didn’t dwell too much about unless asked, but these wounds represented a silent badge of pride and courage that helped others quickly recognize who he was whenever he entered a public place.  Wherever Gunny went, he gave and received love, compassion, and respect, whether it was conversing with a brand new E-1 or a General Officer.  I have attached a photo taken at the Canadian Flanders Day observance ceremony in 2011…Gunny was the honored guest of the Canadian 2-star, Maj Gen Andre Viens, who has since received his third star and is currently serving in Colorado Springs as the NORAD Vice Commander.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank EVERYONE from the Southern California Patriot Guard Riders for their participation on Friday to honor an Exceptional Marine, proud American, and “raw liver eating” Chinese-Hawaiian who served his country proudly!  Semper Fi!

Regards,

Jim
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< And from one of the daughters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sir,
I cannot begin to express the role You and The Patriot Guard Riders played in My Fathers Final Salute!! The patience & understanding of such a day....came back with a thousand fold blessing!!!
May I have an address to send a Thank you card?
Aloha & God Bless you~
Mei-Ling

John D. "Major" Gretzinger
MAJ, AVN, USA (Ret.)
61st Avn Co (AHC) - Lucky 15
Administrator - SoCal PGR Mission Ops
Assistant State Captain, Southern California PGR