Linked Events

• Jared B. Morales, 39, USA, GWOT, Santa Maria/Santa Barbara: July 11, 2021

Author Topic: Jared B. Morales, 39, USA, GWOT, Santa Maria/Santa Barbara - 11 JUL 21  (Read 2762 times)

BethieWethie909

The Patriot Guard Riders have been invited by the family to honor their Hero and it is our privilege to do so.

Jared Boyd Morales, age 39, served in the US Army from 2005 to 2008 and spent 15 months of that time in Afghanistan with 82nd 2/508 INF BN A CO. Rank at the time of honorable discharge SPC-4. Awards and Medals: Army Commendation Medal w/ V device, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Parachutist Badge.

Born and raised in Santa Barbara, Jared Morales is a self-proclaimed “regular guy.” He’s always enjoyed the warm weather and inviting beaches of his hometown, but after the events of September 11, 2001, he left a budding career as a professional surfer to join the Army. “I was sick of people sitting there, saying what they would do if they were in Afghanistan, so I joined,” he said. Morales made no bones about his desire to serve in the infantry, and eventually was deployed to Afghanistan with the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

Going on regular combat patrols and enduring nightly RPG (Rocket-Propelled Grenade) attacks from Taliban troops, Morales found life as a grunt in Afghanistan to be very different from what he had known back home. Showers and sufficient sleep were rare occurrences. During his 15-month tour, he lost two of his closest friends in IED explosions and was involved in a few hairy firefights. “The first 10 missions I did, I was petrified, but after that it became second nature,” he said. “Six months into it, I was like, ‘There’s no way I’m getting out of this [alive].'”

One night, when a patrol was coming back to their base, a luminary was ignited so they could see if there were any Taliban ambushes in their path. A truckload of Afghani soldiers were driving toward the gate at the same time. Morales said their man in the guard tower opened fire on the truck thinking it was the enemy, striking an Afghan National Army Commander and two of his men with 5.56-millimeter rounds. “[The commander] was hit in the chest and had a sucking chest wound,” he said. Using his EMT and combat lifesaving skills, Morales and his team saved the lives of the three men, thereby avoiding a sticky situation with their Afghani allies.

Jared is survived by his mother Cindi Carl, step-father MAJ Bradley Carl (USAR), father Frank Morales, partner Katie Fagan, grandmother Mary Morales, aunt Kathy Morales, brother Gabriel Morales, Gabriel's wife Aurelie Morales, niece Jade Morales, nephew Milan Morales, step grandmother Anne Carl, step grandfather Gary Carl.

NOTE: This mission posting is to facilitate your voluntary participation in honoring this Military Veteran.

NOTE ALTERNATE STAGINGS:

1215 - Riders from SLO and N. Santa Barbara Counties meet at Pappy’s Rest, 1275 Betteravia Rd. Santa Maria, Ca, 93454 - KSU 1215  https://goo.gl/maps/mWHehCEinu1XxqVH8

1300 - Riders from Vandenberg AFB Base and Lompoc meet at Gaviota Rest Area Southbound 101 - KSU 1315  https://goo.gl/maps/Mn4SULpbgspoateH9 KSU

Riders from Santa Barbara So areas . Meet at Church

Time Table for Sunday, 11 JUL 21:

1400 - Stage at Calvary Chapel  Church 1 N. Calle Cesar Chavez, Suite 21, Santa Barbara, CA 93103  https://goo.gl/maps/VVgfFPmoNosXJrqA9

1415 - Mission briefing

1430 - Flag Line with Full Military Honors

1600 - Est after the Memorial service we accompany the Hero, Family and friends to Lead Better Beach with his Remains Shoreline Dr, Santa Barbara Ca. 93101
https://goo.gl/maps/PJrnmixb3p4eJy3T6

Please bring your Flag and water, none will be provided, Dog Tags ordered.

In Honor

RC John Archuleta (Milkshake)
PGR Assistant State Captain So.Central Ca.

US Army 62/65       
(805) 441-8506
45jarchuleta@gmail.com

You do not have to be a Veteran or a motorcycle rider to attend this mission. All PGR members are welcome. We encourage those who do not ride to attend in your car. If this will be your first mission go to the initial staging area and you will be briefed there by the Ride Captain (RC). Dress for motorcycle riding or dress casually if you are driving a cage (car). Please feel free to attend any portion of this mission you can. Please ride/drive safely.